We offer a variety of different class levels from new bee classes to intermediate classes.
If you’re thinking about starting a backyard beehive or are just curious about what’s involved with keeping bees, then this is a great introductory class for you. The class is designed for absolute beginners so, no prerequisite knowledge is required. You can walk in knowing absolutely nothing about bees and walk out ready to get started with your own backyard beehive! We will teach you how the honey bee lives, discuss different hive designs, and share practical information about how to set up your first beehive.
This class will focus on natural beekeeping practices which are often different than most beekeeping books. So, even if you have read a few books, taken some other classes or already started keeping bees, this class will still have a lot to offer you.
For more advanced classes, the best thing to do, at this point, is contact us.
Beginner Beekeeping Topics:
- Intro to bee biology
- Bee nutrition basics – plants and supplemental feed
- Honey and other hive products
- Hive types – what’s right for you?
- Safety precautions – equipment, gear and other methods to avoid stings
- Where and how to buy bees
- Hive inspection basics and identifying the hive structure
Intermediate Beekeeping Class Topics:
- Bee Biology
- Advanced bee nutrition
- Advanced hive inspection techniques
- Identifying pests, viruses, and diseases
- Beekeeping calendar
- Installing bees into your hive
- Swarm prevention
- Taking corrective action in the hive – diseases, queenlessness, laying workers, etc.
All of our classes vary based on questions asked as well as information we’ve learned along the way. We are constantly learning from our own experiences as well as the experiences from others – we’ll never stop learning and we suggest you do the same!